Wednesday, March 18, 2015

10 things I hate about Kilz


I hate the way you look to me
and the way you pour
I hate the way you smell all day
I hate it when we need more

I hate you in big dumb buckets
and the way you hide the grime
I hate when your smell makes me sick
you even make me rhyme

I hate the way you cover spots
I hate it when you dry
I hate it when I can't wash the brush
it's such a mess when I try

I hate the way you cover odors
and when you we have to haul
But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you
Not even close, 
not even a little bit, 
not even at all




Ok, so if you have ever seen 10 Things I Hate About You [If you haven't, go find it tonight] you'll recognize the classic poem that Kat reads in front of the class.  What? She isn't talking about Kilz paint? Whooops. Could have fooled me.

Ok seriously now.  Daniel and I have a love hate relationship with Kilz.   It really sucks to work with.  It's stickier and thicker than most paints.  And it STINKS.  Open a window or go outside when you use it.  It is impossible to clean up.  Even using the recommended mineral spirits it still is a beast to get an actually clean brush in the end. All of that aside.  This stuff rocks.  It really does cover odors and stains.  It is an excellent primer.

We painted our whole inside with Kilz.  Walls, Ceiling. Trim. Doors.* All of it has at least one coat of Kilz.  Sometimes two.  (Doors are still in progress)  This stuff works.


Here is Daniel wearing gloves while working with it, because otherwise you are going to rip off your skin trying to get it off before work the next day.  


This is my mom.  She loves kilz.  She gave us her extra Kilz and when we were in the hate stage of loving Kilz she volunteered to paint all the trim with Kilz if we weren't going to because "It has to be Kilzed."  She did come help us after convincing us it needed to be done.  And, yes mother, it was worth it. I am glad we did.  It helped make the old lady smoke smell go away.  We beat that smell and it didn't hurt to have the windows open and the attic fan on.  

It was great to have a "clean" slate to work with.  It made us feel like we were starting over and making it our home.  


Do you hate Kilz too? Have you used one of the fancy kinds that doesn't suck as much? (we mostly used Original) Let me know! I love comments! 


Love,
Sarah


1 comment:

  1. A couple questions:
    1) By the tone of your poem I am not sure that you really do hate the paint. Are you having mixed feelings?
    2) Do you work for Sherwin Williams?

    ReplyDelete