Friday, March 27, 2015

New door?


So this post is a lot like my sink post, except that this one has a less "happy ending."


This is our carport door. It goes into our kitchen. Nothing fancy. Pretty plain Jane.


This is our front door, it leads directly into our living room.  No entryway or anything.  It has a screen door in front of it that is perfectly darling. 

I am not a huge fan of either of these doors.  They aren't especially "cute" and I don't see them as especially sturdy, although they are functionally safe.  They just stick a little and are "rough around the edges." 

So the same warehouse sale that had sinks also had doors.  So of course I wanted to find out about those. So we looked at several. 


Here is my dad along with a standard sturdy door.  I think it was designed to be hung the wrong way and had a crack in it (thus it was on sale) but dad wasn't too keen on it so we passed. 


Both of these doors are beautiful and amazing! They came with door frames which we didn't need and were slightly off in the size department and the price department.  They were upwards of $400 and $600.  Too much for  a non-essential.  We had plenty of other things that we actually had  to buy. 

Even though the day was a bust as far as the finding and purchasing of a door and/or sink goes, it was a fun outing and I saw a bunch of cool old stuff.  There were old church pew end-caps and a huge octagonal window (Daniel hates octagon windows, "So very 80's.") 


However, any day now (read that as: in a month or two when I have the time/energy) I plan on painting both of the doors.  I am thinking either a misty blue or a happy sunny yellow.  I can't decide.
(following pics from my pinterest)  

What do you think? 


I also think that unless any of you fabulous people reading have a door solution I am going to go with something like this diy adorable door update.  This is a pretty color too! 

While I'm at it maybe we could use scraps or pallets to create fun shutters? Minus the window box. (We are currently plant killers, but we are working on that.) 

Well? I would love your feedback.  This is one of those projects I have had lurking in the corners of my brain but haven't gotten out and done yet. Help me make a choice!! 

If you're new here feel free to read this or this to get caught up!
Plus any of the others! 


Until next time,
Sarah



6 comments:

  1. I like the carport door a lot. It needs some paint, though... We should re-do the doorknobs the right way, then you can do an entry on the correct way to spray paint doorknobs. I like your idea for yellow or that light blue. You can paint the doors while I paint the fascia;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the carport door a lot. It needs some paint, though... We should re-do the doorknobs the right way, then you can do an entry on the correct way to spray paint doorknobs. I like your idea for yellow or that light blue. You can paint the doors while I paint the fascia;

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on wanting a new door! I ADORE the yellow color!! You could even put maybe stained glass stickers or the foggy stickers. I always get paranoid about people looking in. When we purchased our home it had been broken in to a few times and the realtors place a HUGE lock on the front door and attached it to the frame so no one could get in. Weeeellll that left this ENORMOUS ugly marking on the front door and a little on the frame. I'm thinking of sanding it and painting it but am stuck on a color and really the time and energy. Do you shutters HAVE to match your door? I don't think so but I don't like that mine is red, it looks so angry. Again, I adore the yellow and can't wait to see the final product :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The door is a very important part of a house, because it is one of the first things someone sees upon entering your house. So I think it should be as presentable as the rest of your house. Anyway, the door photos you’ve shared looks adorable, and I think the yellow one stands out the most. Thanks for sharing this with us, Sarah. Have a great day!


    Greg Marshall @ Crawford Door Of WNY Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think painting them would be nice, since the colors you chose could define your character. And I’m sure that whichever you end up choosing, you’ll find a way to make it all come together. Thanks for sharing!


    Joyce Roberson @ Locksmiths London

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am making some current changes to my own house and I am also caught in the middle of choices. Doors and shutters have always been tough for me. I am a naturally indecisive person to things like choosing patterns or designs that I will have to live with for an extended period of time is not an easy task.

    Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware

    ReplyDelete