Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Foster House Color Palette

When we started choosing paint colors for the house I was a little bit overwhelmed.  We were spending SO much money on things I knew I wanted to try to find some paints on sale.  I had read that people were finding "oops" paint or "mistints" for a fraction of the list price at Home Depot and Lowes.  Whenever we were at Home Depot or Lowes I started looking in the paint section when we weren't even under contract yet.  If I found a color I liked I bought it.  





When we finally got into our house and cleaned and kilzed and were ready for color we had to decide where all the colors would go.  That was the hard part.   I sat down and looked at the colors we had: a soft grey-ish blue, a pale green, light blue, silvery gray and a mushroom.  I had some ideas of where I wanted things.  The light blue was for the kitchen, to give it a retro look.  I planned to pair it with a bright red. The mushroom was for the living room.  But I didn't know where the other colors would go.   I decided to sit down and plan it out, with Daniel of course.



 


Side note: I LOVE HGTV magazine. They always have such great ideas! I always feel so inspired. So while I was at Barnes and Noble I read some of one and found some amazing paint ideas.  I didn't use any that they suggested but I love that they have them ALL listed in the back! [Also, sometime I would love to do a colored grout between white tiles. genius.] I did decide from this magazine that I should choose a whole house color scheme so it would be cohesive when/if ever we sold it. :) 



This painting is one of a trio that were given to us for our wedding, painted especially for us by one of my mother-in-love's friends.  (For those of you who aren't catching on to the irony here, my maiden name is Beach...get it now? good!)

I looked at the colors we had and the ones I was thinking about and it was a very beachy/coastal color scheme.  Lucky for me, Labor Day sales were around the corner.  The paint we hadn't already bought we ended up buying on sale in the colors we wanted. 


(all these samples are not completely accurate but are approximate, 
if you want an actual name I can find it for ya!)

What rooms are these colors in? (L-R as follows)
Silver/gray: Dining room
Light blue: Kitchen
Mushroom gray/brown: Living room
Seafoam green: Craft Room/Office
White: Hallway
Sandy Tan: Guest room/book room
Storm Gray/Brown: Master bath
Sunshine Yellow:Guest bath
Silvery gray blue: Master bedroom

We really like it.  It feels homey. 

I'll post pictures of painting each of the rooms when I do updates on what each room looks like now. 

What do you think? Do you see the "beach" in our color scheme? 

love,
Sarah




1 comment: